Friday, September 30, 2005

You Tell Me

It cannot be so
you say
simple hands
cannot change
the fate of humanity.
I say
Humanity is
a boundless,
absorbing heart
transcending
death & generations
and centuries
absorbing bullets
and stitches
and tear gas
enduring humiliation
and illegal abortions
and thankless jobs
I say to you
the heart of Humanity
has not and will not
be broken
And let us raise ourselves
like lanterns
with the millions of others-
with the mad
and the forgotten
and the strong of heart
to shine

Jewel~A Night Without Armor

3 Comments:

Blogger Scott said...

I like the feeling of hopefulness conveyed and the call to unity. To be part of something bigger eases the fear of death, if only slightly.

6:34 AM  
Blogger clothosfate said...

I agree.. Jewel's song lyrics and her poems have a strong call to unity in them. Its one of the reasons I love her stuff... she is a warrior. One of my all time faveorite songs of hers is called Life Uncommon... maybe I will post the lyrics cause there so damned good!

7:46 AM  
Blogger The Zombieslayer said...

I didn't like Jewel's lyrics from her first album, although her melodies were good. They seemed to be written by a teen-ager. However, those are definitely a huge step up.

7:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Website Counter