Thursday, September 29, 2005

A Book Not to Read

I don't usually do this, I am such a book pusher most of the time, but I have come across a total waste of time, money and readers imagination. So I decided to post a warning. Do not read the newest Thomas Covenant book titled: Runes of the Earth. Good title, excellent potential just because its written by Stephen Donaldson and belongs to his Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever series. Unfortunately it never stops being utterly disappointing.

I am at least two thirds of my way through the book, which is much too far in to still be wondering when its going to pick up and get good. I was so damned excited about reading it too. What a waste. I don't know what the author was thinking, but he seems to have completely forgotten the desirable qualities that existed in the earlier stories. Namely Thomas Covenant. I mean, how can you relate this book to those earlier ones and not use either the original main character, or if you can't (because he's dead) then you must replace him with another main character who might possess a similar... distastefulness. After all, Covenant was a leper who raped an innocent young girl trying to help him and failed his friends time and time again. An un-hero worth remembering...

What Mr. Donaldson has done is take the wimpy character from the last story and make her the main character, and even throws in some kind of a plot line about trying to save her son. Give me a fucking break... Thomas Covenant never cared about saving anyone but himself, so why should we? Dammit I hate when an author tries to cash in on prior success because he's run out of creative juices and then sells us a piece of crap with a good name.

I give this book a big flip of the old bird.

5 Comments:

Blogger The Zombieslayer said...

Never heard of it, but if I see it, I'll cover it with another book. ;)

10:55 PM  
Blogger clothosfate said...

hahahahaha... that a boy! My boyfriend (one day to be husband I hope) does the same thing with books by facist political figures that he can't stand. I think its a cute trait of his... They gave him a dirty look last time he did it at Chapters...lol

7:28 AM  
Blogger Scott said...

Is this book number seven? I didn't even know it was out there. I can't tell you how terribly disappointed I am that it is so bad. I would have gobbled it up had I seen it, so thanks for preventing from making a terrible mistake!

I told this to Zombie on his site, but have you read George R.R. Martin yet? Please say you haven't, because I want to be the one that told you to read him first.

10:23 AM  
Blogger clothosfate said...

well you have succeeded scott, because no I have not read him.

I did gobble up the book when I saw it.. and so with this post, I had you in mind.

10:33 AM  
Blogger Ben O. said...

Thanks for the heads up - admittedly I probably wouldn't be reading it anyway.

I know we shouldn't, but does anyone else actually "judge books by the covers"?

Guilty . . .

Ben O.

11:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Website Counter