Sunday, August 21, 2005

Sleep Denied

Sleep is such a wonderful thing, and you almost never really notice that until you can't seem to get any. I have been fortunate enough to not suffer from insomnia; I am generally someone who can sleep, even if not ultra deeply. The worst sleep deprivation I have had in my life is definitely due to having a child.

For the first year at least, sleep is a golden thing... almost forgotten but never forsaken. I remember wandering around some days, after weeks of little sleep, wondering at the fact that I was even standing. I have never been a gentle waker. If I have not had enough sleep, I am grumpy and not nice to be around, or at least I was that way before motherhood. After about six months of sleep deprivation, you just cope and live with it... or I guess some people crack and maybe kill people, but luckily not most.

Well my son is almost eight years old now, so sleep is not often a problem for me anymore, except when he's sick. Like now. He has bronchitis for the first time. When he was three months old he had whooping cough, man that lasted longer then some marriages, but sleep deprived was a common thing then. Now, well he has been sick with a fever on and off for over a week, and a nasty cough for just as long. On Tuesday we went to the doctor, and discovered bronchitis... now he's using a bronchiodialator (inhaler) to help open his lungs and cough less. So sleep has actually gone up in the last few days from maybe 2 hour periods to about 4 hours at a time. I think I am going to bed now... Wish me luck.

2 Comments:

Blogger The Zombieslayer said...

Well, hope your son gets well. I've never had it, but from the sound of someone who's had it, it sounds nasty.

I've always had insomnia, especially when I was living in Texas. Often I couldn't sleep until 3 or 4 in the morning. My father has it too, and we'd be up late blabbing. That really helps if you have someone to talk to so if you can't sleep, at least make the best of it.

9:02 PM  
Blogger Stephalupogus said...

Hope your son gets well. I understand all too well how a sick child limits your sleep (especially when his mom is sick and grandma can't help). And I am just an aunt!

9:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Website Counter