Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Last Day

Today is my son's last day of grade one. How exciting is that?! He is finished his second full year of school, and this summer probably looks as sweet as chocolate ice-cream to him. Last year when he finished Kindegarten, it was nice, but before K., he had always had time to himself, so it didn't seem such a big deal. This year though, free-time finally has some meaning and I think he is very excited about summertime.

He is going to spend a month with his dad, who lives is the mountains along with a grandma, two grandpas and his favorite person of all, Uncle Sean. I am very excited for him, and for me. Time for some relaxation, a road trip, sexy sundays, and major 'summer cleaning'.

My son is brilliant. I know most parents want to believe that, but I am not kidding. He is at the top of his class in all subjects, and he is an excellent artist, singer and seems to be down to one or two days to beat a PS2 game. I am so relieved! My partner is dyslexic and had real trouble in school, I did not have that kind of trouble, but we were poor enough for me to be an outcast which really weighed on my school work. My son has none of these hang-ups, and it seems to be working for him. Yes, yes, I am a proud parent, I know I will stop blabbering about it.

I believe in rewarding good behavior as positive reinforcement, so I told my son that we could go to Toys R' Us today after school. He has never been inside a toys r us, so he will be in heaven I'm sure. Now I am not going to just get him whatever he wants, there are limits, but something smallish.. a new game or transformer kinda thing. And also a couple of books for some good summer reading.

Sometimes I can hardly believe I have a 7yr old. He'll be 8 in November... and 10 in two years. Yes I am jumping ahead, but holyshit does it ever sneak up quickly!

SUMMERTIME!!!

2 Comments:

Blogger The Zombieslayer said...

Funny thing about Toys R Us is when I was a kid, they seemed so huge, but now I go into them and they're just another store.

Yes, I do believe in rewarding good behavior. The carrot is a much better motivator than the stick.

1:00 PM  
Blogger clothosfate said...

lol. I'm with you, sticks don't even taste good!

10:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Website Counter