Thursday, September 22, 2005

Crash

Recently I went out and rented the new movie, with a stellar cast, called Crash. I didn't really know what to expect from watching the trailers, but I do like some of the actors very much and so I followed my curiosity.

This movie was very appropriately titled. There were many moments throughout the film that I felt as if I had just gone through a crash, or was about to. This is a poignantly painful tale of unrelated people who suffer from similar hardships. The movie orbits around the very real problem of racism, and even classism (I'll call it) that still runs rampant today.

The main characters are people of all colours and classes who are forced to interact with each other regardless of their own feelings. Specifically, there are instances of incredibly offensive abuse born of racism and frustration, as well as moments of heart-wrenching heroics and highly volatile rage.

I was shocked repeatedly and my feelings were stirred up regardless of what I wanted. I live for these types of tales. The kinds that are not trying to be nice, or paint a pretty picture. I purposefully expose myself to stories that evoke an emotional response because I feel very strongly that our emotional experiences are a key part of our overall journey through life. If we didn't feel a thing, we would never have any desire or motivation to change anything, ever.

This movie gives a close look at issues that are painfully apparent and need to be looked at, if we are ever to change them. The issues that this film deals with are prejudices and misconceptions of all kinds. Fear is a living thing and it has a hold of too many of us. If we don't get a grip on our fear, it will strangle us all in an attempt to make the world "safe". If you are not frightened by intense stories, and only find they make your vision clearer, this is one for you.

6 Comments:

Blogger Bottle Rocket Fire Alarm said...

That's it. I'm buying Crash. Everybody keeps telling me how excellent it is.

1:07 PM  
Blogger The Zombieslayer said...

Finally. People keep mentioning it, but finally a review.

Agreed, if you feel nothing, you'll have no desire to do anything. I like movies that move me, but sometimes I watch movies just to escape (for example Pirates of the Caribbean, Ladyhawke and Legend).

I'll have to see this one.

4:48 PM  
Blogger clothosfate said...

OOO.. Those are three of my favorite escapes! Hmmm this may call for a post on some favorite escapes I think. I would say this movie is one that you won't soon forget. Let me know what you think!

9:08 AM  
Blogger Scott said...

Crash was amazing on several levels. From a story telling point of view it was perfect. Each scene started slowly and built to an incredible climax, some leaving you shaking from rage. The characters were extreme and pulled no punches in their beliefs. And as in real life, the characters all had a sympathetic side to them; just when you thought you really hated Mat Dillon for instance, he redeems himself in a small way. Everybody is changed in some dramatic way, and the irony was thick. I loved the way people would complain about the way society treats them, then live up to the stereotype and even turn racism towards another. I can't say enough about this movie. Awesome and moving.

10:06 AM  
Blogger clothosfate said...

Really well put scott, I think you described it beautifully and pointed out the reasons that I too feel it was such an 'awesome' movie.

Thanks for stopping by, I checked out your profile and I noticed we like some of the same books... I was thinking of doing a post on The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever, one of these days.

11:38 PM  
Blogger Scott said...

Well I'll certainly be back for that post. I've never been more depressed by a set of books, where the hero is NOT sympathetic in the slightest, rapes a wonderfully innocent child that has nothing but admiration and respect for him, and then later falls in love with his own daughter. Donaldson may not have made me understand leprosy, but his character reflects a seriously demented mind of one victim. From a writer's standpoint, Donaldson achieved the impossible; he kept me reading through six novels through the eyes of a hero I couldn't stand personally.

10:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Website Counter