Thursday, September 15, 2005

The Warrior

All of my stories follow a similar thread. I can tell them from many different settings and situations, but eventually it all washes out with the same strong scent. Eventually I am still telling the tale of the warrior... the hero, the Messiah.

I do not tell the tale of the broken man stumbling through the remains of his shattered life. I do not tell the fable of the boy who found his girl, then lost his girl and then won her back or moved on in a brave and romantic way. I am not telling tales of inner demons wrecking havoc in the deep dark of the back of the closet. Those are all stories worth telling and worth reading, but they are not the story that drives me.

I loved Frank Herberts sci-fi classic, and I loved David Lynch's version of it, Dune... I have visions of Duke Leto telling the young Paul Atredes, "the sleeper must awaken." I am a sleeper, awakening.

When I was 11 I read Jean Auel's The Clan of the Cave Bear, definitely the best book of the series. I dreamed of being Ayla, teaching herself to hunt and learning to be a healer... surviving and overcoming the tremendous catastrophes in her life. She was the first woman warrior I ever met and I knew that I was her... she was in me.

The first story I ever wrote for myself, without it being a school project, I was 9 or 10 and it was about a little orphan girl, who is tormented by nightmares about her parents death and is driven to find her baby brother. They were separated after the tragic accident that took their parents from them. She escapes from the orphanage, hops a plane and tracks him down, and even finds a new mother in the meantime. She was on a hero's journey.

The next story, which wanted to become a novel, I started when I was 11, and I called it "The Land Beyond." This was a fantasy tale about an elf who dreamed of being a warrior and actually got the chance when his daughter was kidnapped. There were companions, fairies, mermaids, dragons and evil sorcerers. It is still in a box all 80-100 pages of it, waiting for completion to this day... it was my first lesson in writers block.

I have a dream of writing a profound story of the ultimate hero who changes the face of the world. It's my desire to see the world become a braver place full of noble acts and just rewards. I want to make a difference, and so I figured the best way that I could accomplish this is through the gift I have been given, the gift of words. I have dreamed long of writing a best seller, probably since the very first line of The Land Beyond, and I still dream of it. I guess I want as many people as possible to share the story of the hero, to feel it and be inspired by it.

One of the most inspiring hero's journeys I've ever read would have to be Starhawk's 'The Fifth Sacred Thing.' This book opened my mind and took me to a place I did not even know could exist. It is a sacred book almost, rich with possibility, both terrible and wonderful. I got my first glimpse of what my utopia would be, and what my personal hell would be as well I guess. This book made me feel that I could make a difference, gave me direction. The warriors path became clearer to me then ever before.

So one day, do not be surprised if I post news about an upcoming publication of one of my books. It will happen.. because I am a warrior, I am the hero and I am going to do it with all that I am. Besides, who's the author of this story anyhow?

3 Comments:

Blogger The Zombieslayer said...

I do not tell the tale of the broken man stumbling through the remains of his shattered life. I do not tell the fable of the boy who found his girl, then lost his girl and then won her back or moved on in a brave and romantic way. I am not telling tales of inner demons wrecking havoc in the deep dark of the back of the closet.

Agreed. Those are neat stories, but not really my cup of tea. I like a hero. Not a reluctant hero, but a real hero.

By the way, my wife and I are both writers. Neither of us has a novel published though. The easy part for us at least was writing them.

Would love for you to finish the Elf story. My wife is heavily into fantasy and I used to be heavily into fantasy RPGs two decades ago. I still make miniature castles and have a huge collection of fantasy minis, even though I haven't played since '86.

12:22 PM  
Blogger clothosfate said...

I love fantasy too, and I have been collecting the Krystonian's for a few years now... that book will definitly be finished one day, I love the tale too much. I wrote a short story about an elf when I was in grade 11, and after a few revisions, its really been turning into something exciting. Maybe I will let you read it when its done.

3:30 PM  
Blogger The Zombieslayer said...

I'd love to. Mrs. Z would love to even more. She's a fantasy nut.

7:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Website Counter