Wednesday, May 04, 2005

Into the great wide open

I escaped from the city as soon as my final exam was over. Packed up the car and the son and cruised the two and a half hour drive into the glorious mountains. Ahhhhhhh. As soon as we got there I could feel the stress and hype of the city being blown away on the fragrant wind. The balsam root are flowering and so every where I looked there were speckles of bright sunshine yellow covering the momentarily green landscape. In another month or so, the green will only exist in carefully maintained and watered patches amongst the pale dirt of the desert climate, so it is something to behold and enjoy.

I can't help remembering my first trip to the little mountain oasis, from the vancouver coast. I laughed my head off when an actual tumble-weed rolled across the road in front of me. I thought to myself..."well hunny... you finally made it to the middle of nowhere". Also the small town (more of a village really) just outside of this mountain paradise was being upgraded (little did I know it though) and the main street had been torn up to make it wider.

What it looked like to a big-city girl was a wide dirt road lined with old western-style buildings. There were even horses tied up outside the 'saloon' and real-live injuns mixing with the cowboys. I say this with no disrespect, I have many native friends, I am merely setting the scene. The one thing I quickly realized that this town had that was different was the amazingly numerous 'hippies' wandering about, not something one generally finds in a classic cowboys and indians tale.

That was the day I met my first 'mustached woman'.

I understand its a normal thing for older women to grow hair on their upper lip, and that's it's politically correct for them not to do anything to hide it, especially 'hippie' women, but for me I guess there are some things I would rather be considered politically 'incorrect' about then to actually participate in. I am a feminist, but I like to actually look like a woman and be feminine. I mean why shouldn't feminists where lingerie and whip their male friends if they feel so inclined? Why should they not remove every ounce of hair on their bodies if they like? I am not so into removing all my hair, or botox or anything so... painful, but I am a feminist that believes it is about making informed choices, not being slave to one doctrine or another.... meh, but I digress.

The mountains... ah yes. After the lovely smells and blooms the next thing to scratch the surface of my perception was the utter lack of 'noise'. It is SO quiet there, way out away from civilization. I could literally hear the sound of someone working on there house half a kilometer away. No power tools, just the steady tap tap tap of a hammer. A humming bird flew up really close, drinking from the lilac bush so quickly I couldn't even see it but for the bright flare of orange around its head. I love it there... my heart lies dreaming with the alfalfa and musical creek.

There was a beltane party up further into the mountains, at the secluded commune. The folks who live there expected maybe 15 people, but all together we turned out to be around 40. I guess people were just waiting for an excuse to visit the haven. In two's and three's they came down the trail, backpacks and hiking boots. After the feast and acoustics, the bonfire was lit.

Slowly people began to drift away from the firelight and out into the dark, and from the bonfire soft sounds could be heard from the concealing blackness all around. The true pagans were out there, heating things up with the first other person (or persons, how adventurous are you?) to happen upon them. Giggles and groping, panting and moaning... what else is beltane for? Honoring the Goddess and perpetuating the fertility of the crops/tribe/animals, that's what!

Ah it's a nice thought isn't it? Too bad we live in much too a conservative time for such things... but its nice to fantasize. Instead the fire is really where it was at, fire-spinning, drumming and dancing, and I'm sure there are those who took the fungus trip... but alas, no brave pagans willing to get it on with strangers in the dark. Not really strangers anyway, we all know each other and I know there are more then a few who would love to use the fertility ritual as an excuse to fuck around with people other then their 'partners'. Too bad their all too well-behaved and up-tight to celebrate this ritual properly. The world has moved on to much drabber times.

Four days in the mountains; fresh air, clean water, good food. I am revitalized, especially once I got home and had a chance to bathe...not a lot of running water out there. It reminds me of why I have stayed so long in B.C., I love this place and it loves me. All of you who don't want to be here, get the fuck out. Well except for dusty... but only cause I know you are coming back ;) Or else...

2 Comments:

Blogger The Zombieslayer said...

If all feminists were like you, I'd love feminism. Unfortunately, here in California, USA, the feminist movement has been hijacked by man-hating, sex-fearing fascists with moustaches and hairy pits.

For the record, I have had feminist friends who were strippers, call girls, and even prostitutes. They all loved sex. More power to them. Their belief in feminism is that women should be allowed to enjoy sex as much as a man is allowed to enjoy sex without the stigma and women should have total rights to their own bodies. Love that. Sad that the majority here are so far away from that. Hope it's better there in Canada.

4:46 PM  
Blogger clothosfate said...

Lol... sadly enough, it is not. There are not so many feminists like me, but then open-mindedness is not something that many people truly practice. "Politically Correct" is just another term for "Closed Mind" If we were all open-minded, there would be no need for such terms. and Thanks for commenting, I love it... keep coming back!

4:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Website Counter